A glaucoma is a group of symptoms that may cause the loss of vision in an individual which may be partial or complete mainly due to the pressure variations in the eyes and optic nerves. The occurrence of this condition is most common among the individuals coming in the age-group of above 60 years.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Causes of Glaucoma:
The causes of glaucoma may vary depending upon the reasons.
1.It may occur due to increased pressure in the eyes which is called intraocular pressure, which causes damage to the optic nerve which transmits the image to the brain leading to visual loss. The extend of damage defines the percentage loss of vision with that particular individual. This may be gradual and will happen in several years with a gradual progression.
2.The aqueous humor fluid inside the eye generally flows out of the eyes through a mesh-like duct. This duct may get blocked due to hereditary or inherited reasons. There are chances of intraocular pressure building up inside the eyes leading to loss of vision.
Rare uncommon causes leading to glaucoma can be chemical or blunt injury resulting in the inflammation inside the eyes, thereby increasing the intraocular pressure that causes vision loss.
4.Risk factors of glaucoma include age factors, family history, patients with diabetes mellitus, poor vision, steroid medications, such as prednisone, trauma to the eyes, hypertension, sickle cell anemia, and myopia.
Types of Glaucoma
Types of glaucoma include:
1. 0pen-angle glaucoma: This is the most common one and also can be called wide-angle glaucoma. The extra aqueous humor in the eyes is not drained out due to unknown reasons.
2. Angle-closure glaucoma/chronic angle-closure or narrow-angle glaucoma: It very common among Asians. The spacing between the iris and cornea becomes narrow, and it will not allow the fluid to pass out, thereby leading to an increase in the pressure in the eyes. The lens in these cases seems to be affected.
3. Pigmentary glaucoma: In this type of glaucoma, tiny fragments of iris are found to be mixed in the fluid leading to the closure or blockage of the canals that cause an increase in intraocular pressure.
4. Normal-tension glaucoma: When the optic nerve is damaged, even though there are normal conditions, intraocular pressure develops, thereby leading to blind spots in the vision.
5. Secondary glaucoma: It results due to secondary diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, etc., which cause an added increased pressure inside the eyes.
Common Symptoms and Signs of Glaucoma:
Most of the symptoms are found in the late stage of the disease. Usually having symptoms like losing peripheral and side visions. Out of the types, angle-closure glaucoma occurs faster and may cause irreversible damages to the eyes.
The most common symptoms of glaucoma include:
3.Seeing halos around lights
4.Partial or full vision loss
6.Stomach upset, vomiting.
Diagnosis of Glaucoma:
Here are diagnostic tests for glaucoma.
Initially, it can be asymptomatic.
Eye examination by an ENT physician.
Eye pressure evaluation by tonometry.
3 Best Homeopathic Remedies for Glaucoma:
Here are some effective homeopathic remedies for glaucoma.
Weakness and tired feeling in the eyes are the key symptoms that indicate this remedy. Patients with Atrophy in the optic nerve may find this medicine helpful. The exhaustive nature of the eyes is another indication of this remedy. When the patient feels that every object, which he is looking at, is blurred because of some dust or fog like covering all over, this medicine is recommended. When given shade with hands, the person may get some improved vision.
This is best suitable for patients who always have a full feeling in the eyes. Symptoms, such as a sudden dimness of vision, redness of the eyes, and severe pain along with nausea and vomiting indicate this medicine.
For the acute symptoms of glaucoma, Belladonna is a very good remedy. A sudden increase in the dimness of the vision in the patients indicates this remedy. Changing colors while looking at objects is another main symptom. It may appear like a rainbow.
I hope this blog is informative for the readers.