Sleeplessness as the term that signifies is a condition where you get inadequate sleep. Good sleep is required to maintain a healthy mind and body. The general demeanor of a person can get affected adversely if he/she does not get sufficient sleep overnight. This condition may vary in patients in such a way that
- A person may stay awake for longer periods during the night
- Finds it difficult to fall asleep
- Waking up several times during the sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
Can We Quantify Sleep?
You may wonder how to judge that a person enjoys sound sleep. The answer to it is that there no specific quantitative parameter. With a broader view, one can say that an adult enjoys a sound sleep when he/she sleeps for about 7 to 8 hours continuously at night. The figures may slightly be more in the children. Again, we need to stress on the word sound sleep because, ideally, for sound sleep, we are not expecting too many disturbances which can break the nap.
Reasons for Sleeplessness
There are various reasons responsible for not allowing you to enjoy a sound sleep. Here are some common causes of sleeplessness.
- High-Stress level or Anxiety
- Physical ailments, such as Asthma, heart disorders, and recurring pain in the body
- Mental health condition, such as depression
- Poor social condition
- Diet-related problems, such as alcohol addiction
- Steroid type of medication for any other ailment
How Can One Overcome Sleeplessness?
A moderate change in the lifestyle (dietary habits, exercise) and medication under the guidance and assistance of an experienced practitioner can do a world of good to help overcome this condition. So, let us have a look at the homeopathic treatment suggested to overcome sleeplessness.
Homeopathic Remedies for Sleeplessness:
- Coffea: Normally, this homeopathic remedy is suggested for a patient when he/she happens to wake up from the sleep and further cannot close their eyes. It could be because of mental strain or high dependency on drugs.
- Kali Phos: Kali Phos is recommended for cases where sleep disorders result due to overexcitement, unwanted worries, fear, etc.
- Muriatic Acid: Muriatic acid is an excellent remedy for patients complaining of insufficient sleep even after feeling sleepy at night.
- Arnica Mont: Usually, this homeopathic remedy is prescribed for sleeplessness resulting due to extreme exertion of the body.
- Ignatia: The patients complaining of sleep disturbances, such as hearing sound and dreams of repetitive nature, are best put under a course of Ignatia. Also, medicine has shown great results in overcoming depression in patients.
- Causticum: Generally, Causticum is prescribed when a person complains of environmental factors, such as heat, responsible for sleeplessness, or when an individual is finding it difficult to have one specific sleeping position.
- Mag Carb: When physical discomfort, such as pain arising due to abdominal issues that lead to sleepless nights, Mag Carb is indicated. A prescribed course of Mag Carb can obviate such pains to a greater extent and may provide you a sound sleep.
- Senecio: Senecio is normally suggested when sleeplessness is due to uterine irritation leading to a condition called prolapse.
Diet Practices to Combat Sleeplessness:
A healthy diet guarantees a sound sleep. This is the key to beat sleeplessness naturally that we can’t overlook. So, let us see how a good diet practice can help in ensuring sound sleep.
- Try Diet Rich in Vitamin B: Studies have revealed that Vitamin B tries to regulate melatonin, a hormone that can regulate your sleep cycles. Food items rich in Vitamin B, such as fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, dairy, fish, etc. can help you enjoy a sound sleep. However, you need to be careful while having vitamin B intake by ensuring that you do not overdo it by taking all the food items in one go.
- Avoid diets that are high in fat: Avoid eating (fried meals), aerated drinks, and meals containing a high quantity of spices, particularly during the dinner or at night time.
- Avoid diets or dishes which are too high in sugar or sugar-based products. Too high sugar percentages in a patient’s diet can lead to a high level of restlessness during the night hours.
- Weight Control: If we can control the body weight to the required optimum levels, it can certainly help us in enjoying a sound sleep. This goes the same the other way too. Better the sleep, better is weight management.
- Try Bananas: Bananas are found to be a rich source of melatonin, magnesium, and serotonin that are sleep-inducing chemicals. Try including bananas in your diet or have one before going to bed every day.
- Have Meals about an Hour Before Bed: This can help in breaking down the sugar and keeping your sugar levels in check. The lesser the sugar levels, the better are the chances to have a proper sleep.
- Walnuts: Try to have walnuts, which are identified as a rich source of melatonin in your diet. Eating walnuts can increase the melatonin level in your body that can further act as stimuli in promoting sound sleep.
Now that you know how good diet practices and homeopathy are effective in beating sleeplessness, make sure you go for homeopathic treatment for sleeplessness and follow proper diet practices to enjoy a sound, continuous sleep.
- Written by Dr. Ashitha A., Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah