Nephrotic Syndrome is a kidney disease, which results in the leakage of protein in the urine. It can affect both children and grown-ups. In children, it is an autoimmune disorder, while, in adults, it may result due to the pre-existing conditions/diseases, such as diabetes, pregnancy, and other conditions.
Signs and Symptoms of Nephrotic Syndrome:
It can be diagnosed primarily with the following signs and symptoms. Find some common symptoms of nephrotic syndrome listed below.
- Puffiness of the face
- Swelling of the feet and around the ankles
- Increase in the weight due to the retention of water in the body
- Foamy urine
- Repeated cold and cough not getting settled with antibiotics
Finally, the person can be labeled as the patient of Nephrotic Syndrome only after consulting a Nephrologist.
Let us discuss the diet which should be followed and what should be avoided by the patients having Nephrotic Syndrome. Even though diet control alone cannot promote complete recovery from Nephrotic Syndrome, it can help in controlling the disease to a certain extent.
Restrictions of Diet for the Patients of Nephrotic Syndrome:
- Reduce Sodium Intake: A low sodium intake is recommended as a high level of sodium can cause water retention and raise blood pressure. So, one should avoid processed food Namkeen, papad, ready to use food, such as potato chips, salted bread, and Chinese food.
- Decrease Protein Intake: The intake of protein purely depends on the present condition of the patient; hence, a moderate quantity of protein can be consumed but only after consulting a Nephrologist. Good sources of protein, such as fish, nuts, and beans, can be taken in moderate amount.
- Ensure Low Cholesterol: Good source of fat can be consumed in moderate quantity. The patients should avoid yellow parts of eggs, fast food, animal fat, and canned meats.
- Water Restriction: Water should be restricted if the swelling of the body is not controlled by salt restriction.
- Avoid Dairy Products: Avoid full cream milk and milk products as a few studies suggest that hypersensitivity to milk and milk products may cause glomerular damage.
We treat patients from the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE & 180 more countries. Get an expert opinion on your ailment, click here to ask Dr. Shah’s team directly.
Recommended Diet for Nephrotic Syndrome:
- Have a Balanced diet: A healthy diet consisting of fruits rich in fibers, such as apple, papaya, pear, banana, and green leafy vegetables, should be consumed.
- Carbohydrates-Rich Diet: Opt for a diet rich in carbohydrates. Have foods abundant in carbohydrates, such as whole grains, potatoes, meat, macaroni, and nuts.
- Fresh Fruit Juices: Eat all types of fruit juices, and have freshly prepared soup (not frozen) with low salt content.
- Have Supplements of Vitamins & Iron: Have vitamin and iron supplements along with the diet mentioned above to ensure good immunity.
- Go for Good Fats: Opt for foods with good fats, such as peanut butter, mayonnaise, and butter, in moderate quantity.
Now that you know the diet recommendations and restrictions for nephrotic syndrome, ensure that you follow them when you are suffering from the condition for relief and your well-being.