Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory disease that can cause some of your vertebrae to fuse in your spine. As a result of this fusing, the spine becomes less flexible, resulting in a hunched-forward posture. Breathing deeply may be difficult if the ribs are affected. It is a chronic inflammatory disease of the axial skeleton that causes swelling between your vertebrae and in the joints between your spine and pelvis.
Ankylosing spondylitis affects men more frequently than women. Ankylosing spondylitis usually manifests itself in early adulthood. It can happen that inflammation occurs in the body especially in the eyes.
- The joint that connects the base of the spine to the pelvis.
- The lumbosacral region’s vertebrae
- Tendons and ligaments attach to bones in a variety of locations, most notably the spine, but also along the back of the heel
- Breastbone to the ribs are connected by the cartilage
- Joints in the hip and shoulder
Symptoms for Ankylosing spondylitis
Morning pain and stiffness in the low back and upper buttocks are typical symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis (AS), which gradually subside throughout the day. Symptoms usually begin and gradually worsen over 3 to 6 months. In severe cases, spinal fractures may occur, but pain, stiffness, and reduced movement are the most common complaints.
General symptoms include:
- Difficulty with spine bending
- Hip pain and difficulty walking- a dull, diffuse type of pain
- Foot pain, especially in the heels and soles
- stooped posture
- Straightening of the spine’s natural curvature
- Appetite loss and weight loss
- Fatigue and low energy
- Swelling, redness, and pain in the eyes
- Light sensitivity
Diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis
There is no specific test for ankylosing spondylitis, but imaging with X-rays and MRI may show evidence of inflammation of the sacroiliac joint between the sacrum and the ilium.
Some symptoms that may aid in diagnosis are as follows:
- Back pain is caused by inflammation, with stiffness and pain that is worse in the morning and improves with continuous movement
- Spine mobility has been reduced
- Decreased capacity to expand the chest
Things you can do to feel better
- Make time to exercise every day, even if it is only for a few minutes. Many people with AS benefit from water workouts.
- Maintain a healthy weight to reduce the strain on your joints. Omega-3 fatty acid-rich diets may be advantageous. If you suspect that certain foods are causing changes in your mood, keep an eye out for patterns.
- Don’t light up. Tobacco users frequently experience symptoms that worsen with age.
- Massage, yoga, meditation, and counseling can all help you deal with stress.
- Heat should be applied to stiff joints and tight muscles, while cold should be applied to inflamed areas.
Diet for Ankylosing Spondylitis
There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all diet for ankylosing spondylitis. A nutrient-dense diet rich in vitamins and minerals from a variety of foods is a good place to start.
Include the following in your diet:
- Fish, nuts, and some oils must be included in the diet in which omega-3 fatty acid is present
- A diverse range of fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains like quinoa and farro, as well as whole-grain foods
- Reduce or eliminate foods that are low in nutrients but high in fat, sugar, and sodium, such as highly processed foods
It’s critical to read food labels carefully in order to understand what ingredients — and how much of them — you’re consuming, which can also help you understand a product’s nutritional value. Many boxed, bagged, or canned foods contain preservatives and trans fats, which can aggravate inflammation.
Why homeopathic treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
The following are some of the most significant advantages of Ankylosing Spondylitis homeopathy
- Ankylosing Spondylitis treatment treats the underlying causes of this autoimmune disease by addressing the altered immune system.
- It aids in pain relief while having no negative side effects.
- Its goal is to control the disease.
- Even if used for an extended period, it is completely safe.
Homeopathic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis & drugs are provided based on an individual case evaluation that considers the patient’s genetic, immunological, and psychological factors. As a long-term therapy, it is both safe and effective. It relieves pain, improves mobility, and, most importantly, it keeps the disease under control. It has no negative side effects. Ankylosing Spondylitis homeopathy aids AS patients by affecting the immune system, which is often overactive in these people. The doctor will prescribe a customized regimen for the patient based on the presenting symptoms.
Homeopathic medicines for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Rhus Tox: When the patient has sacral/lumbar area pain that is worse at rest, with sitting, or after a period of inactivity, Rhus Tox is the first medicine of choice for homeopathic treatment for ankylosing spondylitis. The pain travels down the legs and into the foot. Walking or any other activity/motion provides pain relief.
- Aesculus: This is recommended for patients who have severe pain and stiffness in their low back and hips. The pain is constant, and there is discomfort when trying to get out of a chair, stooping, or walking, all of which require more effort. There is a fear that the legs will give way, increasing resistance while walking.
- Kali Carb: Kali carb is a valuable remedy to use when your back is extremely weak and painful. Walking back gives out, and the patient is forced to sit down. The back is extremely painful and stiff, and it appears to be broken. The pain in the lower back may spread to the thighs or ascend to the upper back.
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that affects the spine predominantly. It is a chronic illness with no known cure. Exercise, medications, and lifestyle changes, on the other hand, can help manage symptoms and allow you to live a long and productive life. If you or someone you know is suffering from AS symptoms, consider trying homeopathy. You can consult a homeopath if you want to talk about Ankylosing Spondylitis treatment.