Are you or any of your friends or relatives suffering from tonsillitis? Do you want to obtain a quick and long-lasting relief from the discomfort resulting due to tonsillitis? If you said yes, then following some simple home remedies can provide you a quick and effective relief from the troubles of tonsillitis. Read on to learn all about it.
Tonsillitis is a condition that causes inflammation of tonsils, which are lymph nodes located on both sides of your throat. This condition is commonly observed in children, but it can affect grown-ups too at times. A sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, sneezing, swollen tonsils, headaches, fever, and other similar discomfort are common symptoms of tonsillitis. The intensity of tonsillitis can be mild, moderate, or severe. Viral or bacterial infection can also cause enlargement of tonsils and affect you.
Be aware of chronic severe tonsillitis episodes which can cause many complicated issues. One such complicated issue is tonsil stones. Ignoring acute problems of tonsillitis can welcome major issues affecting the quality of life. We completely understand that home remedies can work wonders for tonsillitis. But, treating it effectively is important to avoid complicated issues of tonsil stones.
Before we help you out with some home remedies for tonsillitis, let’s explore something about tonsil stones.
What are tonsil stones?
Tonsil stones are also called tonsilloliths. This mainly occurs when bacteria, dead cells, pus, or debris gets collected in the crypts or dents of the tonsils. This leads to inflammation and swelling of the tonsils causing calcification or hardening in long-term chronic causes. It can give a cobblestone appearance to the tonsil causing excessive pain on swallowing which can be quite difficult to deal with.
So, before the case gets complicated, it is important to address the issues of recurrent chronic cases of tonsillitis with homeopathy treatment.
Hold on! Before, you look forward to trying out any of the home remedies which we are going to explore in this blog, check out for some warning signals and know when to consult your doctor for tonsillitis. Let us know about the symptoms of tonsillitis in the next part of the article.
What are the symptoms of tonsillitis?
The symptoms of tonsillitis are as follows:
- Sore throat
- Pain in swallowing
- Red, swollen, and inflamed tonsils.
- White coating on the tonsil
- Fever with weakness
- Enlarged associated lymph nodes in the neck
- Hoarseness of voice
- Bad breath
- Radiating headache or earache
- Loss of appetite
And, following some effective home remedies can offer you quick and long-lasting relief from the symptoms of tonsillitis. Find below some simple home remedies that can help you treat tonsillitis at home.
Saltwater is used to alleviate the discomfort resulting due to tonsillitis for many centuries. It is a simple and quite common remedy for tonsillitis. All you need to do is add a tablespoon of salt to a glass of warm water, mix it well, and gargle using this warm salt water. Do not swallow the water. Spit it out once you finish gargling. Salt helps to reduce inflammation and also helps in killing the virus or bacteria giving you instant relief. Warm water gives your throat a soothing effect. Repeat this as many times as you can. It also helps in keeping your mouth clean and in preventing the growth of infection on the surface of the tonsils.
Turmeric is a proven antiseptic remedy from ancient times. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties. Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper to warm milk and drink it at night before going to bed. It will help in speeding up the healing process and getting rid of irritating symptoms.
- Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple Cider Vinegar is known to possess many medicinal properties. One of its medicinal properties is that it helps in reducing the swelling and pain of tonsillitis. Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Gargle this solution for quick relief.
Known for incredible antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties, Basil is an excellent remedy for tonsillitis. Boil 12 to 15 Basil leaves in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Strain it and add lime juice to it. You can add a dash of honey to sweeten this drink. And, drink this thrice a day.
- Chamomile Tea:
Brew a cup of soothing Chamomile tea. Make sure you have it hot. Keep it covered before having it to keep essential oils in it. Chamomile will help in reducing the pain and soothing your throat as well.
Lemon is an age-old natural remedy for tonsillitis. It is known for its antiviral, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Lemon helps in reducing the infection and inflammation when you are suffering from tonsillitis. In a glass of lukewarm water, add lime juice and a pinch of salt and honey. Mix it well. Drink this mixture twice a day. It will help in speeding up your recovery process as well.
- Hot Soups:
Swollen tonsils can make it difficult for you to swallow food easily. Hot soups can be filling as well as help in clearing your congestion. As your soup is full of all essential nutrients, it helps in building your immune system as well.
Cinnamon is known to possess powerful antimicrobial properties. Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water. You can add honey to sweeten this drink. While it is warm, keep on sipping this drink. Have this twice or thrice a day. Cinnamon will help in inhibiting the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms on the surface of your tonsils. Thus, it will help in reducing your swelling and pain and in speeding up your healing process.
Beetroot is rich in folic acid, iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iodine, copper, manganese, and sulfur. It is highly recommended if tonsillitis is caused due to constipation as it is rich in fiber. This will also help in improving your digestion. Beetroot combats toxic agents that cause tonsillitis and helps in reducing the toxicity of your body.
- Stay Hydrated
When suffering from tonsillitis, have lots of healthy fluids to keep your body hydrated. This will also help in preventing your throat from turning dry and itchy. Have plenty of water, soups, hot beverages, and other healthy drinks. Stay away from aerated drinks, yoghurt, overly spicy and sour foods, sour cream, and other sour foods and liquids as they can irritate your throat and worsen your symptoms.
These simple home remedies will definitely help in giving you great relief from tonsillitis. However, after a week, if your symptoms aren’t getting better then make sure you consult a doctor. Also, if you are suffering from chronic tonsillitis, you have to consult a doctor from the same.
Apart from natural treatment for infected tonsils, making lifestyle adjustments is crucial for managing tonsillitis symptoms and promoting faster recovery. Here’s a comprehensive guide on lifestyle changes that can help to get rid of tonsillitis fast and support your body’s healing process.
- Nutritious diet: A balanced diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants is vital for strengthening the immune system and promoting healing. Make sure your meals are packed with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Foods high in vitamin C, such as citrus fruits, strawberries, and bell peppers, can help boost immunity and fight off infections.
- Avoid irritants: Environmental irritants like cigarette smoke, air pollution, and strong chemical odors can exacerbate throat inflammation and prolong recovery. Avoid exposure to these irritants as much as possible, and consider using air purifiers in your home to improve indoor air quality.
- Rest and relaxation: Adequate rest is essential for allowing your body to focus its energy on fighting off the infection. Avoid strenuous activities, get plenty of sleep, and practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, or gentle yoga to reduce stress and support your immune system.
- Oral hygiene: Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial for preventing the spread of bacteria and reducing the risk of secondary infections. Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and use an alcohol-free mouthwash to keep your mouth clean and fresh. Replace your toothbrush regularly, especially after recovering from tonsillitis, to avoid reinfection.
- Humidification: Dry air can exacerbate throat irritation and worsen tonsillitis symptoms. Use a humidifier in your bedroom to add moisture to the air and prevent throat dryness, especially during the winter months or in dry climates.
- Avoiding overexertion: While regular exercise is beneficial for overall health, strenuous physical activity can strain the body and weaken the immune system, making it harder to fight off infections. Listen to your body and avoid overexertion during periods of illness. Engage in gentle activities like walking, stretching, or light yoga to stay active without putting too much stress on your body.
- Quit smoking: If you’re a smoker, quitting smoking can significantly improve your respiratory health and reduce the frequency and severity of tonsillitis episodes. Smoking irritates the throat and weakens the immune system, making you more susceptible to infections. Seek support from healthcare professionals or smoking cessation programs to help you quit for good.
- Manage stress: Chronic stress can weaken the immune system and increase susceptibility to infections. Practice stress management techniques such as mindfulness meditation, progressive muscle relaxation to reduce stress levels and support your body’s natural healing process.
- Regular hand washing: Practicing good hand hygiene is crucial for preventing the spread of infectious agents that can cause tonsillitis. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially before eating, after using the restroom, and after coughing or sneezing. Opt for hand sanitizer when soap and water aren’t accessible.
- Healthy sleep habits: Quality sleep is essential for immune function and overall health. Maintain a consistent sleep routine, striving for 7-9 hours of uninterrupted rest each night. Create a relaxing bedtime routine and optimize your sleep environment by keeping your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool.
By incorporating these lifestyle adjustments into your daily routine, you can effectively manage tonsillitis symptoms, reduce discomfort, and support your body’s natural healing process. Remember to listen to your body, prioritize self-care, and seek medical guidance when needed to ensure a speedy recovery and optimal overall health.
-Written by Dr. Stacia, Associate doctor to Dr. Rajesh Shah