Vitiligo is a chronic skin condition marked by white depigmented patches that develop and enlarge in certain sections of the skin. The formation of these patches is associated with the destruction of a pigment called melanin. This pigment melanin is responsible for giving color to the skin.
Any skin condition is treated better and faster if a proper diet is observed during the treatment. Vitiligo is also not an exception.
The following points should be kept in mind as far as diet is concerned in vitiligo:
- Increase intake of foods containing vit B12: Dairy products like skimmed milk, curd, and sprouted beans are also good sources of Vit B12. So patients with vitiligo should consume the above items more.
- Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acids: Omega 3 fatty acids are very important in terms of skin nutrition. One should include flaxseed, flax seeds oil, walnut, chia seeds.
- Avoid junk foods: Studies have shown that children who have a habit of eating a lot of junk are at a high risk of developing vitiligo. Also a lot of intake of chocolates, cheese, and coffee is also not good for patients with vitiligo.
- Vitamin D: Include Vitamin D in the diet. To increase the intake of milk and soymilk in the diet. The best and free source of Vitamin D is sunlight. One should make a habit of sitting and exposing the vitiligo-affected part to the sunlight.
- Whole grains: Eating whole grains have a great benefit as they contain lots of fibers, and they free the body from toxins. Grains like oats be taken in a large amount in vitiligo. Oats are having a high content of Vitamin E which is known to boost skin health.
- As far as possible opt for a vegetarian diet: Avoiding non-veg foods and starting with a purely vegetarian diet offers a great benefit to vitiligo patients. Spinach and Garlic have more benefits. Spinach is known to repair skin damage and garlic is a good source of natural antibiotics. So These two should be consumed more.
Following food items should be avoided if you are suffering from vitiligo:
- Avoid sour fruits like oranges, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.
- Beef, red meat, etc. should also be avoided. Because they are very heavy to digest and if not digested well they can form toxins in the body. Which in turn aggravates the vitiligo.
- Pickles, spicy food, preservative added foods, soft drinks, carbonated drinks, etc. play havoc with the health in vitiligo and they aggravate the condition. So these items are a big no-no in vitiligo.
- Foods with added artificial colors and flavors are also to be avoided in vitiligo.
- Dr Rajesh Shah MD, at Life Force, has a vast experience of 20 years of treating vitiligo patients. He firmly believes that homeopathic treatment when combined with the above dietary restrictions and additions certainly helps to a great extent in the treatment of vitiligo.
If you have any queries regarding any chronic disease, feel free to contact us. You can give us a call at +91-22-66888888 or drop in an email at firstname.lastname@example.org