Hangover simply means the aftereffects of drinking too much of alcohol.
Symptoms of hangover:
The hangover effect can show various symptoms. They are as follows.
- Blood shot eyes
- Bad taste in mouth
- Severe weakness and fatigue
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Bloating in stomach, diarrhea, vomiting
- Excessive thirst
Management of hangovers:
Best way to treat or avoid hangover is to stop drinking alcohol. Other measures which may ease off the intensity of hangover symptoms are as follows
Drink plenty of water: Water helps to maintain hydration in the body and prevents symptoms like headache and light headedness.
Diet: Avoid eating fatty and oily food. Go for a bland and easily digestible food items.
Rest: Rest for sometime during hangover period. The quality of sleep is badly affected in the person drinking alcohol. So, it is advisable to take proper rest the next day.
Role of homeopathy in treating the hangovers:
Homeopathy can offer a great help to ease off the severity of hangover symptoms. There are medicines like Nux Vomica, Lycopodium, Carbo vegetabilis and Pulsatilla Nigricans which are helpful to a great extent in relieving the symptoms of hangover.
Depending on the symptoms described by the patient, appropriate medicine is selected and given to the patient
- Hangover headaches along with indigestion, vomiting, history of drinking alcohol for years together calls for Nux Vomica.
- When there is extreme exhaustion, patient is unable to lie down, patient constantly wants fan and when the patient complains of extreme bloating, nausea and indigestion; Carbo Vegetabilis is the remedy.
- When the patient has severe craving for sweets, disturbed digestion and aggravation of symptoms by eating cabbage and onions; then Lycopodium is the indicated remedy for the patient.
Homeopathic medicines are prescribed after a detailed and in-depth study of the patient’s symptoms by an experienced homeopathic doctor. Patients are requested to consult a qualified and experienced homeopath for proper treatment. Patient should not take medicines on their own without consulting an expert. Such practice can prove harmful for the patient.