Difficulty in the passing stool is termed as constipation. Constipation is a condition in which feces in the bowels are dry and hard and also it becomes difficult to evacuate them.
Constipation is also defined as bowel movements less than three times in a week. Constipation may be considered severe when the bowel movements are once in a week or when the passing of stool is only once a week.
Common causes may include:
1) Dietary error- Insufficient or poor intake of fibers (vegetables, fruits, etc) and more intake of fats (meat, eggs etc) in the diet may lead to constipation.
2) Insufficient water intake- If daily water intake is not sufficient enough then it may lead to constipation problem. Insufficient water intake leads to the hard stool as water is absorbed by intestine during digestion to make the stool soft.
3) Eating hurriedly and not chewing food properly can cause constipation.
4) Inadequate physical activity can lead to this problem. A person having sedentary life are more prone to suffer from constipation then people who are having an active life.
5) Some medicines like iron supplements, antidepressants, medicines containing calcium and aluminum etc may lead to constipation
6) Pregnancy – Hormonal changes or compression of the uterus on rectum may lead to constipation.
7) Aging – As old age reduces metabolism and can lead to constipation.
8) Alcohol and Caffeine
9) Overuse of laxatives
10) Condition that obstructs normal passage of stool within intestine like foreign body in intestine, tumors, adhesion etc
11) Abdominal surgeries.
Scope Of Homeopathy:
Homeopathy is strongly recommended for all the stages of constipation. Chronic constipation can also be very well taken care off with homeopathy. A detailed case taking is required to prescribe homeopathic medicine to get good results.
Some commonly indicated remedies which are commonly taken over the counter are:
1) Nux- Vomica – Most common homeopathic medicine which is given for constipation. Typically this medicine suits to people who has a sedentary life. The patient is habituated to drink tea and coffee. For the people who has overuse of alcohol. It is especially for businessman kind of people having constipation problem. Also for the people who are highly ambitious and short tempered.
2) Bryonia – Another well indicated and frequently prescribed medicine for constipation. It is specially given to the patient in which the stools are very hard and dry. The patient usually has very less thirst of water who are prescribed Bryonia. For the people who has no desire to pass stool for couple of days
3) Alumina – Hard and dry stool are present. There may also be bleeding from rectum due to the hard stool. Great staining is present. It is especially for the women having sedentary life and facing constipation problem.
4) Silicea- It is especially indicated for chronic constipation problem. There are fissures and piles complain due to chronic constipation. Constipation may be associated with menses in females. Medicine for the people who are a lean, thin, obstinate and anxious person.
5) Opium- There is obstinate constipation. There is no desire to pass stool. There is severe pain in anus while passing stool.
Suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome? Read blog article on Lifestyle changes to aid your Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) treatment.
There are many more remedies which can be used for constipation in homeopathy.
Homeopathy is very well indicated and strongly recommend for constipation but it is important to take correct medicine rather than just taking over the counter medicine and correct medicine can only be prescribed after detail case history of the patient.
Homeopathy should not be last source but the first line of treatment for complaints of constipation.
– Written by Dr. Kainaz Billimoria, Life Force Homeopathy